Thursday 22 November 2018

NaNoWriMo - A Retrospective

Every year I either agonise about not doing National Novel Writing Month or I take the plunge and give it a go. I've been doing it since I was 16. That in itself is horrifying. I don't have the old files of my stories. They are on broken and destroyed laptops which I no longer possess. The website NaNoWriMo operates from only kept my statistics from 2011 onward.

What originally was procrastination on my part grew from curiosity to a blog post. A new entry will be added once I've finished this month but for now, I invite you to observe my catalogue of shame. The novels which never were.

Actually that's a bit of a lie. My 2016 novel is the same as this year's attempt. I've rewritten it this year and chosen to flesh out different characters and try a different perspective. Once this year is over I will cannibalise both and try to create a coherent story out of the mess of words I have gathered. Seems completely doable. (I'm lying, it sounds like a nightmare).

Novel Title - Glass Eyes
Year - 2011
So back in 2011 I wrote a novel from the perspective of a doll. The doll of the young female main character. It was back when I was 21 year old and grappling with moving away from home. At least that's what I think it might have been. I can't recall for certain. That was the year I moved to Leeds and hadn't realised the full scale of what I had actually done. I hope that writing back then helped me cope. I know I hated the novel and vowed never to look at it again. It's gone now so... yeah.


Novel Title - Room 529
Year - 2012
In 2012 I attempted my first and last foray in erotic fiction. Was this around the time Fifty Shades of Grey was a thing? Did that influence my decision? I can't even imagine... This is my only official fail. Moving on!
Novel Title - The Tornado
Year - 2013
Hilariously enough this was the first incarnation of the story I am STILL writing and this was in 2013. I don't have the file for it so I have no idea what it looked like but man... Even back then it had certainly fired something up within me. I can't even remember being so on top of things!

Novel Title - The Trifecta
Year - 2016
And I wrote a different version of the same story again! (This would be my second attempt). Someone told me that you have to do things three time to get them right. I don't really know if this is something to live by but I hope it rings true. I even wrote in my synopsis that it would be terrible. I must have been extremely confident.
Novel Title - Atlantis
Year 2018 - 2018
Turns out if I focus really hard (and have a day off work) I can bash out 6,664 words in one day. I did try to finish my novel but I killed off the majority of my characters and hated it. Then I pivoted and wrote some scenes to flesh out the characters and remembered why I loved them and why needlessly murdering them was a bit dumb. I didn't delete any of it though. It's all there for that precious word count. 

Who knows where I'll go from here...

No comments:

Post a Comment