Thursday 22 March 2012

Mad Men

Well, as the new series has started I guess I should throw my hat into the ring regarding this well loved television phenomena. The internet will soon enough be alive with the sound of those who have opinions. And as I began to write this blog about a week ago and continued to forgo it for other activities such as, the gym (audible groan), and reading The Hunger Games (disappointed sigh) this fell by the wayside. Now it's time to finish it and move on with my life.

So everyone and their dog who claims to appreciate the rich intricacies of life and literature, and general entertainment also adore this show, Mad Men, it's synonymous with quality. I suppose that sounded quite cynical so I should correct my tone, it must be stated that I genuinely enjoy this tour of the plummy depths of 60s America.

It's probably not a surprise that as a history student I enjoyed this series. At University I found several of my modern modules divided into sectors of America in the 60s, this predominantly focused on The Civil Rights Movement, but I spent a lot of time researching the entire period. The themes and events that defined it, in all honesty nothing quite grasped my attention quite as strongly as America in the 60s and it was a time I gradually learned to respect and enjoy. I learnt about the defining events in the 60s, The Civil Rights Movement, Counter Culture, Vietnam, the Cold War, Women and 'The Feminine Mystique' and not forgetting the Assasination of JFK. I rounded off my degree by writing my thesis/dissertation on Malcolm X, a truly remarkable and intriguing man worthy of everyone's attention and respect.*

So for a glorious couple of years I immersed myself in books and 60s cinema, specifically 'The Graduate' and the original 'Batman' movie, all for purely historical research purposes and discovered a world that was pretty damn entertaining. Enter Mad Men to tie up everything I loved about 60s whilst introducing a new facet, the dawn of advertising and Madison Avenue.

I'll admit, I watched the first series and found myself incredibly uninterested in the slow paced reflective way the plot seemed to move. Everyone who is anyone will recall Don's speech about the Kodak Carousel, and even though I felt a ache in my heart, I brushed away the sensation and stopped watching. I can't defend my actions, but perhaps I gave myself insurmountable obstacles to prevent myself the time and effort of trying again. I dismissed it for years as something I simply didn't 'get'.

As the 5th series edged closer and the mounting hysteria about how good a show it actually was, I decided to reconsider my ignorance. Also with the help of TV.com and 'The Great Mad Men Re-Watch' I decided to give the show another go. I decided to simply read the recaps of season 1, and watch the final episode for that key scene with the Carousel and Peggy's phantom pregnancy. Note while I was watching season 1 with my boyfriend I told him she had been getting gradually fatter, but he hadn't noticed. Maybe I did have the propensity for subtlety and hadn't realised, or I enjoy pointing out fatties.

Thankfully season 2 and 3 were much more enjoyable, I'm not sure why but something seemed to click into place. Perhaps Betty's accusations against Don and the active disintegration of thier marriage. Perhaps Peggy's upwards momentum and poor Joan's downward spiral. I know for a fact Roger Sterling's constant promise of being consistently cutting and hilarious was a pull. I also found myself strangely rooting for Pete and his boyish yet dependable ways. And of course there was the unforgettable incident with the John Deere lawnmower in season 3...

But something seemed to happen during season 4, something clicked. The whole thing, although far removed from it's original outing became something more. Was it Don's alcoholism and spiral into despair? Was it the new offices and the triumphant return of Joan? Was it Peggy's dipping of her toes into the counter culture taking place around her? I can't quite put my finger on what became some ultimately compelling about the show but it definitely occurred in season 4. My main point would probably by that for some reason the show adopted a sense of humour. Not outrageous joke after joke humour, but those occassional asides that caused me to laugh out loud and chortle for several minutes. Perhaps it was because the show spent so much time building up this world, this alien environment for the viewer, that when those moments of humour arrive, once you've invested in the characters and the world, their actions just make you laugh.

I think this culiminates in my favourite scene throughout the entire run. Peggy and Don's relationship has always been a cornerstone for the series and in this clip it's reflected quite hilariously. Then there is the whole rule which Don learns quite roughly, about never getting off with your secretary. Then there is another rule about windows in walls dividing offices, great for peeping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2eQhOW8zRo

Then of course there is the inexplicably excellent episode 'The Suitcase'. After my boyfriend tired of season 1 as I did I never asked him to watch Mad Men with me again but that specific episode is special. It simply encapsulates a relationship that has never pushed or strained or over exposed throughout the series. It was perfection.

So if anything, as I read over this blog, I think my highest reccomendation of this show would be to watch season 4. It just clicks, something makes the whole world seem more real. Don is not the infallible man of mystery he spends most of season 1 trying to pass off, he's a broken lonely figure and he's trying to work out who he is himself. As a whole, if it hasn't been known or said about a zillion times across the world over. Mad Men is an excellent drama, depicting the lifes of fleshed out and intriguing characters. The fact it takes place in the past removes nothing from the very real and tortuous emotions the characters go through. It's an intrigue and a delight and I can't say much more than that.



* Peggy mentions Malcolm X in an episode briefly asking a co-worker in season 4 if he knew Malcolm X had died. He asked if she read the new between the adverts in the paper dismissively. But the fact Peggy/the writers acknowledged his existence gave me a warm glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment