Friday 4 May 2018

This is a show tune...

...but the show hasn't been written for it yet.



When I'm lost and have no direction I end up finding this song. It's been there through so many difficult times and it's (in my opinion) one of the most powerful songs in history. I'd struggle to name another one but my knowledge does not extend so far.

Every version I've managed to find of Mississippi Godamm is different and every time Nina has that same rage and spirit coursing through it. Sometimes she'll make a wry comment as she maintains that pulsing beat.

Why don't you see it, why don't you feel it? I don't know. I don't know.

The historical significance of Nina Simone fiercely singing with all of her strength about the inequality in her country and the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s is breathtaking and inspirational. The song highlights significant events at that time but then again, couldn't you continue adding to that list?

Her passion and fury are so raw and she is using her (amazing) talent to highlight the injustices of the racist system she lived within. I can never appreciate the indignities faced or the inequality but I can feel it. A song that's more than 50 years old reaching through time and still searing.

I've been struggling this week especially as it's come to an end. Not much can be done on a weekend and I'm just waiting now. I had an interview with a charity today and I tried to emphasise how much I just want to help people. It's going to be a little while before I hear back (2 endless weeks). If I don't get the job offer I'll have to move on to the next and make do.

I've gone through every charity based in the city (there are 485) and currently there are no others I can work for earning a living wage. This is my chance to do something meaningful. Now that I've got time to wait my thoughts keep snapping back to 'what if I'm not good enough'. I wasn't good enough before, it's likely it could happen again. I had another interview but it was a different industry. Good customer service is helping people too I suppose.

Where am I going? What am I doing? I don't know. I don't know.
Just try to do your very best 
Stand up be counted with all the rest

I'm re-framing a Civil Rights song and it's probably not something I should do. But those feelings of frustration and helplessness are universal. The song was written to give a voice to those sensations so that everyone could understand. From my tiny insignificant daily struggles and in my low moments I can feel them too. I really hope with every fibre inside of me that her song reached everyone and made them understand too.

Now Youtube is cycling through old Nina and Ella songs with a couple Billie Holiday. I need to feel someone else's feeling for a short while.

No comments:

Post a Comment