Wednesday 2 January 2019

Movies of 2018

So it's been a pretty weird year. I may have become more of a recluse or less of one. I don't think we have the results in just yet for that one.

One thing is certainly clear, I have watched far too much television and way too many films. Luckily I happen to love films. Standard end of year award ceremony coming your way. Officially named the 'Hendys' (patent pending).

Best Comic Book Movie of the Year
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

You know what comic book movies are missing? Colour! And actual sound effects that appear on the screen as words! This movie had these things and it most importantly was the most fun, vibrant and straight up entertaining experience.

Now I have various permutations of Spidey to be fiercely protective of. Miles Morales, Dad-bod Spiderman, Spider-ballerina-girl, Noir-Cage-Spiderman, Anime-crab-robot school-girl spider-girl and most importantly Spider-ham.

Everything about the film is fun and delightful and the soundtrack is clogging up my Spotify. I can't get it out of my head. I demand more films like this. You deserve your Hendy Spidey.

Best send-off movie for veteran actor
The Old Man & the Gun

Not that anyone is asking but I have a deep well of emotion regarding any circumstances involving elderly people. Old people have lived far longer than I have, they have experienced so much and deserve nothing but respect for surviving in this terrible world for so long.

Needless to say any film/television episode which includes June Squibb makes me cry and the woman has been in a lot in the past 5 years. Nebraska made a weeping wreck.

All of this rambling brings me to a slight but exceedingly pleasant film about a real cool old guy played by Robert Redford committing felonies and flirting with Sissy Spacek. Casey Affleck is also there. It's all about the vintage camera filter and the retro outfits, it hits my sweet spot. The whole film made me smile so much my cheeks hurt at the end, I was still smiling when I was crying (films about old people make me cry). For that reason Robert Redford, you and David Lowery come on down and accept your Hendy.

Special mention: Phantom Thread - Daniel Day-Lewis is a fashion designer and a tricky fella to deal with, his idiosyncracies make him incredibly exhausting too be around. The film didn't quite snag the 'Hendy' just because Day-Lewis' supporting players stole the show from him. Lesley Manville you bitter pill... the woman is an inspiration.

Most disturbing remake
Suspiria

The film earns it's Hendy for completely subverting my expectations and being an incredibly intricate and layered film whilst at the same time being bizarre bloodbath. Walking out left me feeling confused and a bit exhausted.

Like most of Dario Argento films, it's a thinker and on first viewing I straight up did not get it. (His most accessible film is Call Me By Your Name - I recommend it to all people everywhere.)

I was sat on the bus on the way home and felt like I really wanted to know more about that old man actor who broke my heart throughout the entire film. (My affection for old people definitely clouded my vision). I googled the guy and then read some reviews and discovered the old man was Tilda Swinton in prosthetic and my brain nearly exploded. I don't recommend having such an experience on a late night bus.

Anyways the whole idea of a coven of witches running a dance school and doing voodoo dance routines is the most fascinating idea to me. My only concern about the original and the Dario Argento's remake is that there is simply not enough dancing.These women should be dancing constantly and making voodoo magic happening while doing it and the music must always be Thom Yorke.

Best Blockbuster crafted by a serious art-house auteur starring a very good dog
Widows

I'm very easily distracted but before I begin with my thoughts on the film I feel I must give a round of applause for Olivia the delightful West Highland terrier. Not only has she stolen the best acting award in this particular movie, she also went ahead and stole every scene she appeared in during her performance in Game Night. She has worked very hard and shown poise and charm and deserves a tasty treat and pat on the head.

Picture this, Viola Davis is in a beautifully appointed apartment in the late evening. Nina Simone is playing, she's standing staring out the window into the night viewing her reflection in the window. Her deceased husband embraces her in her reflection and she soaks in the moment and we watch her caught in a memory. It's a beautifully rendered scene and it builds on a feeling.

Steve McQueen working with a script with complex female driven storyteller Gillian Flynn have crafted a beautifully layered action film. Everything in this film works together fantastically and makes something entertaining and also thoughtful. It's hard to shrug it away when you walk out of the cinema and that is an achievement in itself.

We at the Hendys believe that everyone who worked on the film named Widows deserves a pat on the back and a nice glass of Cava (budgetary restraints prevented us shelling out for the fancy tipple - watch this space for our advertising funds to come through).

Best Movie of 2018
Sorry to Bother You

Give me creativity, give me rage, give me bags of personality and give me Danny Glover saying he's too old for this shit*. This film is magical escalating wheel that turns faster and in new and unexpected ways.

I have made such an effort to not ruin it for anyone I've somehow managed to remove all words about it from my brain. I want to enthuse endlessly about it. A man starts a job at a base level call centre job and from there things escalate with layers of humour and anger and creativity screaming off the screen.

It's such a fun and offbeat film which also explicitly rages at the state of of the way things are in the world but creates a colourful magical world in which to express itself. It's so charming and so delightfully weird but without a doubt the most memorable and outright entertaining film I've seen this year. Come on down and collect your Hendy!

*He makes an appearance in The Old Man & the Gun but doesn't say the line - he does however scream it from his eyes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment