Monday 29 October 2012

Skyfall

Let's get this immediate reaction out of the way so you can accept my stance on this film. I think it's amazing, I would go as far as to say it's one of the best Bonds ever. I have already been chided for this remark but this is what I will go on to argue in the coming inevitably long paragraphs. Having slept instead of staying up extremely late to write this review I'm worried the post-cinema glow will have faded, and as with Looper (another film I genuinely liked) I'll forget exactly what was so good and fail to write anything of note. This is a pressing concern. Nevertheless I know what I want to say so let's have at it.

My mother, having seen the film before me (distressing) declared that the film was boring. She said there was very little action, she didn't understand the motives of the villain, she wasn't happy with his terrible hair, and she didn't understand why James Bond was so dull. Let me confirm one thing, I don't think my mum could be more wrong. The first twenty minutes is a breathless chase with motorbikes on rooftops, a train-top digger incident and fist-fight and a shocking twist. Fair enough the following sequences aren't quite as bombastic but I think the film does something unique in a Bond film which is match the action with the quieter developments and themes with some skill. I wasn't bothered that Bond wasn't kicking ass because I was so enjoying his company. This is where I do believe my partner couldn't disagree more and this is where the big divisive part of this film comes from.

In Skyfall Q hands Bond a gun, it's programmed to his fingerprints/palms so only he can use it - 'Less of a random killing machine, more of a personal statement.'* Now I'm not the first or the last person to make the the claim that this essentially sums up the film. It definitely resonates from the moment it's said and the more the film unfurls around us it's more apparent that is a personal statement as much as it is an action film.

But herein lies the problem. Do we want to know Bond? Do we care? Is that what fans of the series want? My cinema buddy thinks not, he wants excitement, he wants audacious action set-pieces, he wants Bond to sleep with the woman, have a drink and go to bed and call it a day. More-so than before in the series the Daniel Craig era has been working at fleshing out the character of Bond by giving us his origins, developing his relationship with Judi Dench's M, and making him work through his personal demons. I could watch all of Sean Connery's Bond career and sum up his character in several points: Bond can kill anyone with any tool, skilled at everything, he'll have sex with any woman who is attractive -skills, he loves to drink but specifically a Martini, he can't help crack a quip - he's witty, he is a man on a mission and will do anything to see it done - brave/courageous. Aside from that there is little else that really sticks; specifically the women he entangles himself with each film. Bond is an action man and nothing more. This is what people have come to expect from a Bond film, especially if you've just spent the past few weeks trying to watch all the previous films in as short a time as possible.** In Skyfall Bond transcends the stereotype Bond has become and we actually learn more about him. A heated debate ensued with my partner as to whether or not this is a good thing. 'Bond should bang the women, save the world, have a drink and kick ass!' My partner declared, I disagree.

James Bond has been around for 50 years now, in fact they released the film on it's 50th anniversary, Bond's favourite whiskey in the film is a 1962 malt, Bond drives his beloved Aston Martin DB5 which plays an integral part to the films last act, there is a deep respect for the film's heritage running throughout. Fifty years is a bloody long time! No other franchise could go on that long, unless it was uniquely British***. We can't have Sean Connery donning a tuxedo and jumping off buildings any more (although that would be awesome...), times change and Bond does too. They are building on the character of Bond, they are doing something different, we are learning more about him and he is becoming 'less of a random killing machine.' Over the years Bond has faced a lot of stiff competition, we're getting a whole new generation of action films, they're everywhere! And in them all we pretty much get the one-dimensional male who will inevitably kick some serious ass and save the world/family/country. Will he look as good in a dinner jacket? No, no one can. But there are so many knocking about, we're looking for more! In the good old days all Bond had to do was turn up in his suit complete with his exploding pen and pistol and he would be the best thing in the cinema by a long way. Times have changed, there are plenty of blockbuster action films about now, Bond isn't unique. Skyfall has proven to me as a fan of not only Bond but cinema, is that Bond is the best. He is the best at saving the world, he is the best at action, and most importantly he is the best at giving us a hero to root for, a fleshed out and interesting person, a man. That's more than your standard action fodder, no? Once again we are being given a unique cinematic experience. A film steeped in heritage, an action film with a beating heart, a respect for the past, an acknowledgement of modernity, an all around belter of action and twists and turns, and most importantly, thoroughly entertaining!

So what about the actual film? I'm at pains to give anything away as I expect anyone who grazes their eyes across this review to go see Skyfall immediately, as in right now, go! Actually you know what, I don't think I need to justify the film with an actual review, or a rehash of minor plot details and my sole quibble about the film.****  The Bond girls, in their own way were great, not one of them felt the need to don a bikini for no apparent reason. The acting was up to such a high standard, every action sequence had a sliver of humour as well as heart-in-your-mouth action. The cinematography! I know I keep throwing that word out there... but the film was shot superbly, the locations, the whole mood of the film was just absolutely stunning, I've not seen a more beautifully shot film in years.

Just get off your arses and go see the movie, you won't be disappointed. If you are, simply crack out the old Bond boxsets and watch Connery at work, just not the Roger Moore ones, kay?

* First off, Q is played by the fantastic Ben Whishaw, seriously give the man a hand, I've seen him in Criminal Justice (BBC miniseries grim) The Hours (BBC attempt at Mad Men but in the newsroom in the 50s) and I'm Not There (for a film with so many acting heavyweights playing Bob Dylan my favourite parts were his, he lit up the screen.) So in all honesty it's such a delight to see him in a big blockbuster movie playing such an iconic role, I'm so made up for him, plus he does such a good job!

** Not that I did that... Well ok, maybe I watched a few, I was genuinely that excited!

***An institution, like Doctor Who. We know how to continue a series successfully for many decades. And let's face it, there are missteps in both Bond and Who but instead of ignoring them we embrace the mistakes and continue to strive for perfection.

**** **Slight spoilers** It's not right that they put Bond appearing and shooting the screen with the blood running down, at the end. It should be at the beginning godamnit! I know it would have messed with the aesthetic of the start sequence but it's supposed to be at the beginning! It's not Bond if he doesn't 'die' at least once... Plus it wouldn't be much of a film series if they just killed him... Stick it at the beginning!

2 comments:

  1. Given your fascination above with Bond, the man, and recalling from your sister that you're much more (at least, over the years) literary-oriented than she, I'm curious which of Fleming's original Bond novels -- which I grew up reading, three decades ago -- you've read, if any? If so, do they color your perspective watching the films the way they do mine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read the books no, as with many things they are on my list of pursuits some time in the future, hopefully. I tried to sum up the Daniel Craig character in my review but the paragraph became very convoluted so I gave up. I'll give it a quick try. In essence he has a strong loyalty to his country and a moral code, a respect for the past, he is an intelligent astute man with a brutish edge, and he has a severe level of hubris and a taste for the finer things. But I think there are more layers to him than that... I must read the books to learn more I think.

      Delete